giovedì 3 febbraio 2011

NARS Tainted Love Set

Happy Valentine's Day! Personally, although a nice little tropical island would definitely be top of my list, I can think of very few other ways of spending Valentine's Day than with François Nars :)

The Tainted Love Lip, Cheek and Nail set is NARS's special offering for Valentine's Day. It includes anAngelika Multiple (Limited Edition and exclusive to this set), an Angelika Lip Gloss and a Schiap Nail Polish. The set has a value of 84 euros but retails for 62 euros on the officail NARS website. I usually order when they have free shipping but as I was getting other stuff as well I decided to cave and pay the almost 10 euros of shipping costs. On the positive side, they ship via UPS so I got my package less than 48 hours after placing my order!
All the products are of course variations of pink, more specifically cool-toned pink.


The Angelika gloss, which is also available separately from this set, is a lovely blue-toned, almost lavender candy pink with a little golden shimmer which doesn't really show on the lips. 
When applied, it appears as a light cool pink which would definitely look great with a smoky eye. Non-sticky, unlike other Nars glosses I've tried, as well as virtually unscented, it does however apply a bit streakily.

One reason I wanted to get this set is that it includes Schiap nail polish. I don't usually wear bright creme colours on my fingernails but this blue-toned fuchsia has always been on my wish list for bright summer toes. Named after the innovative Italian fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli, who brought shocking pink to the world of fashion. The colour, which Yves Saint Laurent described as having  "the nerve of red...an aggressive, brawling, warrior pink", is really gorgeous, reminiscent of hot pink oleander or bouganville flowers. It looks best with two coats applied. I don't usually wear a top coat, too much hassle, and this lasted quite well with no chipping and kept it's creamy shine. I'm definitely going to wear this A LOT on my toes this summer, it's such a cheerful vibrant colour!

And finally here's the Angelika multiple. Described as a cotton candy pink with silver and gold flecks it is exactly that!
On the left, Angelika swiped twice and on the right, blended a bit with my fingers. When applied to the face, the shimmer doesn't actually disappear as it did here on my arm, but stays quite visible, so I'd suggest you use this Multiple only in the evening or when you feel it's more appropriate! Like all multiples you can use Angelika also on the lips, but I find the formula a bit drying, to be honest. I can see this working well on the eyes too, if pinks on eyes are a good look for you (it isn't for me). On the cheeks, the cool-toned pink looks really pretty, very romantic. However, I have to say the formula balls up a little when you first apply to the skin, I don't know if it's because of the glitter or what, but no other Nars multiple has ever done that to me. It's not really a big problem though, as you do have to blend the multiple in with your fingers (or however you prefer) anyway!
I don't own the powder blusher version of Angelika, so I can't compare the two. Here is, however, a comparison with other pink blushes I have in stick form: Nars Cadaqués Multiple Tint (LE - sheer cool raspberry pink); Nars Angelika MultipleBobbi Brown Sheer Coral Cheek Tint (shimmery peachy warm pink);Tarte Dollface Natural Cheek Stain (sheer and shimmery candy pink).
All in all, NARS Tainted Love is a nice little set to have, especially because it contains the limited edition Angelika Multiple (which will probably pop up again in the future in other collections, but you never know!). It is also great value and I can see myself wearing the products all year round.

Hope your Valentine's Day was good, mine was certainly...unforgettable, as I hit the side of my face with a gate and I now have a pretty red vertical bump down the side of my forehead! It's just as well I don't post full-face pics of me on the blog!!

Anna xx